PCS track meet with my Boy

On Tuesday, my son Josh had a track meet that we didn't know much about because he's one of the kids that when asked "how was your day?" responds with "fine." Apparently he was competing in 5 events so I took the day off and took some photos of the kids. Long jump, ball throw, and some sprinting ensued. Here's some of the day to day.

It's been a looong looong time coming...

But I'm trying to post images.
December was a hard month. The hardest in my life and I couldn't have done it without my family. I love you all so much.

Keenan 1983 - 2015 / We love you.

My familia

Keenan, my brother had ordered some custom Jones soda bottles way in advance of Christmas. My brother passed away on December 12 but this gift remains with me and one is sitting in front of me right now. There are a few oldie photos sprinkled in here that I scanned.

I miss him immensely.

January 2015

I've been rethinking social media and sharing photos of my family with my parents, my siblings, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, my friends and so on. I've thought about facebook and how it will almost be a biography of one's life for themselves and their kids and who their parents were, what they did and the stories of them. What an amazing resource but I've decided that mine will mostly be through this platform without ads and distractions and will solely be about my family, maybe even my thoughts as part of me and the growth of my kids and my family.

As I post pictures I'm going to do little write ups as I remember because things fade so quickly with just a few little ones, full times jobs, sports, cleaning...Hopefully I'll be more on top of it as I get current. I'm going to start now with January 2015 as the beginning...

This was actually taken December 31 2014 at a New Years party at our friend's house on Shawnigan Lake. Everyone was in the backyard with coats freezing while trying to light their Japanese lanterns. Noah - Jacob - Joshua

My little girl Alison. You're a tough little girl babe and you held your own with the boys. We did a team photo of your team before a practice at I.C.E during your first year of hockey with the Juan De Fuca Grizzlies. I can't wait to coach you next year.

Long winter nights and pillow fights. Alison and Josh. I truly hope that the friendships you are building with each other now don't ever slow down and that you continue doing this when you are teenagers. You are a couple of nuts that compliment each other so well.

Joshua. Jumping in to bed. This photo makes me think about how small you are and how big you are going to be. My little boy, for a while.

2015 January 20 Family_7669.jpg

Josh. Your room January 2015. I love this. Your Star Wars, Dinosaurs and figurines at the foot of your bed and a bed full of stuffies. Crossing the thresh-hold of little boy to not so little

Sometimes I need some me time. The weekends are full of hockey and chores and the week is full of work...and chores. I was having a bit of a hard time wishing that I had more time to go out surfing and get in to the waves. I played hookey from work and went to Esquimalt Lagoon where it was actually quite warm and listened to some music, of the waves.

This was January

Vancouver Canucks - Playoffs - Game 5

Yesterday I went to a Vancouver Canucks game but not just any game...It was game 5 where it was a win or be eliminated from the playoffs by Calgary Flames. But even bigger than that it was a very special trip with my brother Keenan. Many of our friends know what's going on but he's pretty sick and has had a few liver transplants with some tough times ahead. For a day we got to totally forget about everything but the Canucks winning game 5.

My wife and I collaborated to surprise my brother and son with a trip to Vancouver to Game 5 live, in the arena, feeling the energy and being part of it. The night before the big game my wife went over to my brother's place where he had planned to make dinner for all of the ladies in the family. When she was there she said to Keenan that he'd better get a good sleep since tomorrow was a big day...he had no idea what the big day was and here is the video...

For a week before the game I had been excited to share this secret with my bro and had been in contact with the Vancouver Canucks Guest Services to make this a special trip for us. Oscar at Guest Services were amazing and got us lined up for a tour of the arena prior to game time. I didn't realize that this tour is even available and to be honest it made the game a million times more enjoyable. Getting to access an empty arena a few hours before the game got the three of us buzzing. Joshua, Keenan and I were toured around by Christopher who took us for a #RogersArenaTours "Behind the Scenes" adventure. We got to see Rogers arena from the ice to the rafters and even took a few minutes to sit in the penalty box. Joshua was even allowed to operate the actual CBC "Play by Play" camera thanks to some amazing technicians. Thank you so much!

Josh and i picked up Keenan at 7 AM for the 9 o'clock ferry over to Vancouver from Victoria. We were pretty stoked and I think Keenan's biggest worry was picking out which jersey he was going to wear for the tour and which one for the game.

The tour begins -

The Roger Neilson statue

The Hall of Heroes

After the Hall of Heroes we went up, and up, the third deck and higher. If I were rich I think I'd live here. I know there were kitchens and lounge chairs and if there were showers I'm moving in. The view of the ice was incredible.

We saw the Canucks doing some drills early that afternoon well before game time. It was pretty neat to see the empty arena. It was really just us, our group, Christopher, the Canucks and a team of staff that were putting white towels on every single seat in the arena. That's 18 630 seats. Every time we looked out another section was covered, much like the wave that went on during the game. Josh even had a seat at the keyboard that thunders through the arena during the game.

Joshua getting to operate the play by play camera

After that we went down to the ice and sat in the penalty box for a few. During the game it saw surprisingly little use during such an emotion filled playoffs so far. I think the Canucks got it figured out. Less penalties - more shots = Victory

We even practiced some towel waving #towelpower

For the last leg of the tour we went down, all the way to the hallway to the changerooms. Unfortunately the Canucks were already occupying them so we couldn't get in but being down there was pretty cool.

Joshua above, trying out the chin up bars installed for the Vancouver Grizzlies when they used to occupy the arena with the Canucks. The building codes required them to have everything installed for NBA size players. The doors are probably 9 feet tall, the hand dryers above my head and other bathroom appliances adjusted for their height.


After the tour we went to the store and got some souvenirs.

Joshua, practicing his butterfly...

The boys. I didn't bring my real camera to the game but I've got some terrible phone photos that will tell the story well enough...

Joshua getting to give high fives to his hockey heroes

Thank you so much to Christopher (our tour guide), Oscar (Fan services maestro) and the Vancouver Canucks for winning what will be an unbelievable memory for my son, my brother and I. I just can't believe how great the experience was and can't wait for Game 6 tomorrow night.


The Gang

Our yearly photo of the kids while camping at Cowichan Lake. I was just about to post this and realized I have no Riley?! Aww man. A kid is missing!

Toes in the Sand

Tracey, her last toes in the sand and ocean before leaving with the kids collecting their last sand from Sugar Beach. It was a fantastic vacation and a paradise in so many ways. I can't wait to go back. I hope you liked looking at the pics of our vacation through my eyes. Most of my family photos will now be posted on this website so stick around and bookmark it.

Hawaiian Shirt

Josh wanted a Hawaiian shirt so badly and said I could take a few photos of him before we left. We had a little modeling session on our last morning before we went boogie-boarding